Rushville was struck by a destructive fire on January 22, 1908. According to this article from the Lancaster Gazette the fire started in the grocery story of George Eyman and destroyed several buildings, including the office and residence of Dr. W.C Lewis. The fire was stopped as it reached the east side of the Hyde House by a "bucket brigade" using water from Rush Creek and a number of fire cisterns along Main St. This was the third of several fires that ravaged Rushville up to that time. The area that was burned is where the Rushville Theater and Hotel now stand. The Rushville Bank building, which was also built after the fire in 1910, itself burned down in 2018.
top of page
bottom of page